28 July 2008

The War on SUV's


White people are divided on this "war in Iraq" business. My next door neighbor was some sort of district coordinator in the Obama campaign and is heavily against the war. His next door neighbor is a gun-wielding conservative that only cares about defending our country, retribution and gays not having rights. HIS next door neighbor is a couple of lesbians. I don't know what they think about the war, but you should know these aren't the kind of lesbians you should care about.

I'm only now beginning to get over the tired-head associated with "war" talk on the news or radio. Politics seem so boring and futile. I guess my change of heart is probably rooted in these soaring gas and milk prices. Have you tried buying a gallon of milk lately? Crap. How does a war about oil affect cows? I don't know, but it does.

Anyway, I saw this interesting statistic today from Scott Burns:

The [war in Iraq], alone, is now clocking past $560 billion. That’s enough to manufacture and put in service over 22 million new fuel-efficient hybrid automobiles and dent the supply/demand balance for energy from the Middle East.
I don't know if 22 million people would have the money, or be willing to spend it on a brand new hybrid, but I thought this stat was pretty fascinating. If this war's still about the terror then I wonder if it'd be cheaper to build a bio-dome over America and put Pauly Shore in charge of homeland security.

No comments: